Signs / SymptomsSleep apnea is a serious medical condition, below are some signs and symptoms.
Common signs and symptoms of sleep apnea include:
Excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia)
Difficulty staying asleep (insomnia)
Awakening with dry mouth
You’ve been told you stop breathing at night
Waking up gasping for air
Forgetfulness / Memory loss
Are You Finding Yourself Sleepy During the Day?
Fill out our quick questionnaire to measure daytime sleepiness on the Epworth Sleepiness Scale.
Complications of sleep apnea can include
- Falling asleep at work-increased risk of workplace accidents
- Falling asleep when driving-risk of motor vehicle accidents
- Performance and behavioral problems for children and adolescents
High blood pressure or heart problems:
- Heart attack
- Abnormal heartbeats
Type 2 diabetes
Complications with medications and surgery:
- More likely to have complications from major surgery due to breathing problems when sedated and lying on one’s back.
- Loud snoring keeps bed partners from getting good rest.
The Epworth Sleepiness Scale is a questionnaire to measure daytime sleepiness. You can use our interactive online form below.
Interactive Self-Evaluation Test
Using the rating scale below, rate each of the following statements as it best applies to you:
* This scale should not be used to make your own diagnosis. It is intended as a tool to help you identify your own level of daytime sleepiness, which can often be a symptom of many sleep disorders.
If your score is 10 or more, please share this information with your doctor – make sure you describe all your symptoms as clearly as possible to help in your diagnosis and treatment. You may want to print off this questionnaire and take the results to your doctor, or call us at (315) 686-5142.
* Please Note – True excessive daytime sleepiness is almost always caused by an underlying medical condition that can be easily diagnosed and effectively treated.
What Your ESS Result Indicates
Less than 10
You are most likely getting enough sleep
However, if you have noticed a change in your normal sleep routine, you may want to discuss this with your doctor.
10 – 15
You may be suffering from excessive daytime sleepiness
You should see your Doctor to determine the cause of your sleepiness and possible treatment.
Your Doctor may refer you for a home-based sleep study to assist in your diagnosis.
You Are Dangerously Sleepy
It is imperative that you see your Doctor to determine the cause of your sleepiness and to investigate treatment as soon as possible. Or call us today at (315) 686-5142.
Your Doctor can refer you to for a sleep study to assist in your diagnosis.